PDA

View Full Version : HRD and VCOM with Omnirig

K3ZXL
27th March 2011, 13:53
Hi All

I hope this is the correct forum for my question

I hope that you can help me.

I am trying to use both HRD v4 and Bandmaster/Omnirig at the same time.
In HRD under tools there is a Tool called vCOM which I am sure is your N8BVvCOM bundled into HRD.

Here is my situation:
I have a USB to serial converter by RT Systems that is set for COM4 in XP SP3
I can use either Bandmaster/Omnirig or HRD but not both at the same time.
I went to HRD and initaiated the vCOM. It assigns port 14 as the companion to port 4
However, now I cannot run either program to control my FT-817
If I bring up one program or the other but not both at the same time, I am OK to go.

I tried HyperTerminal in Windows to try to communicate with the 817 but no success. with either port.

The HRD software leaves a lot to be desired in terms of instructions for setting up. And I am not a PC whiz.

Is anyone available for assistance?

Dan Schaaf K3ZXL

G3ZOD
27th March 2011, 15:07
Dan, I'm successfully using HRD4 (shh! the forum version police will be after us ;-) with vCom along with CW Skimmer/Omnirig and my K3, so it can be done.

G3ZOD
27th March 2011, 15:14
Here are my settings. Note that the Rig Type for Omnirig must be "Kenwood" regardless of what the actual radio is.

W8BFG
27th March 2011, 16:36
Once again: HRD v4 is NOT supported. It is recommended that, if you wish to be supported in your HRD endeavors, you update to v5.0 ASAP.

Signed,

---Two Guns, Chief, HRD Police Section.:guns

G3ZOD
27th March 2011, 16:56
Hi Bernie. Thanks but no support required for me. I run HRD5 sometimes in a virtual machine, but most of the time HRD4 provides everything I need.

K3ZXL
27th March 2011, 22:36
Dan, I'm successfully using HRD4 (shh! the forum version police will be after us ;-) with vCom along with CW Skimmer/Omnirig and my K3, so it can be done.

Graham,
Thanks for your reply. I am not sure why there are police on the hRD forum, seems as though hams help hams regardless. And the police receive no paycheck for their efforts.

Anyway, perhaps it is best to discuss this by private email. I will certainly need help on this. My email is dan-schaaf@att.net

Look forward to hearing from you since v4 is sufficient for my needs.
Dan

W8BFG
27th March 2011, 23:12
Graham,
Thanks for your reply. I am not sure why there are police on the hRD forum, seems as though hams help hams regardless. And the police receive no paycheck for their efforts.<snip>Dan

Hmmm....just how much support do you think you'd get if you contacted M$ about a problem w/your Windows 1.0 PC??? At some point, you just have to consider updating to something that can be supported, and has had many of the issues you run into already FIXED. In the many years I was a paid computer geek for the State of MI, I operated under the policy that if I provided you w/a solution to your computer-related issue, and you chose not to accept it, that problem ceased to be MY problem and became YOUR problem. You can only help someone who wants to help themselves, especially long-distance, like over the Internet.

End Rant Mode. :bang

K3ZXL
28th March 2011, 09:40

Graham,
Thanks for your reply. I am not sure why there are police on the hRD forum, seems as though hams help hams regardless. And the police receive no paycheck for their efforts.

Anyway, perhaps it is best to discuss this by private email. I will certainly need help on this. My email is dan-schaaf@att.net

Look forward to hearing from you since v4 is sufficient for my needs.
Dan

K3ZXL
28th March 2011, 09:57
Dear N8PVZ

I guess you still don't get it. Hams help hams. HRD is not a product for sale and therefore does not have a paid support team. I am not requesting help from HRD, Inc. or Simon. I am requesting help from hams in a forum, that is what forums are intended for. Those hams who choose to help other hams in this forum, and it IS a forum, not a customer service department, do so out of the goodness of their hearts. It is called ham spirit. Why anyone would want to be a forum policeman with no remuneration is beyond me unless that person has nothing better to do or is a control freak and gets some personal satisfaction from telling others what they can and cannot do. Not so different from the KC Cops on the air. I asked a question in this forum looking for assistance from other users. If you have no assistance to offer then I strongly suggest that you go on your merry way and simply ignore my thread. On the other hand if you have some constructive help to offer, I will be happy to accept it. It does seem that you lurk here on this forum. I am only here to get an answer to a question and I will check this forum once a day as a general rule until I find someone who can assist me. Otherwise, I have better things to do in my life than lurk in chat rooms and forums looking to bust someone's balls.

Dan K3ZXL

K3ZXL
2nd April 2011, 14:07

I finally did make the HRD v4 VCOM option in Tools work with Bandmaster. It took a few days of emails with German ham from another Yahoo Group. My thanks to him. After doing this, I then upgraded to HRD v5.

Dan K3ZXL

G3ZOD
3rd April 2011, 09:26
I finally did make the HRD v4 VCOM option in Tools work with Bandmaster. It took a few days of emails with German ham from another Yahoo Group. My thanks to him. After doing this, I then upgraded to HRD v5.
Dan, good to hear that it's working now. I did send you an email as requested, but didn't hear anything from you.

K3ZXL
4th April 2011, 23:22
Well I should say that it is partially working. Here is the final analysis:

Example, 5M2TT was spotted at 2155 UTC 14.018 Comment: up 1
Click on Bandmaster Split Spot
Bandmaster set VFO A to 14.019 and nothing to VFO B .
14.019 is supposed to go to VFO B
So, it tells me that the command structure of Bandmaster does not match the
expected command structure in HRD.
I do think that using the Rig Type Kenwood in bandmaster does not properly
match the INI file of Bandmaster with the HRD expected values.

How do we get this problem fixed? Bandmaster is essential to operation here. Surely Simon does not want to have users download faulty HRD. Not good for his reputation. And while at it, it would be best if HRD did NOT require using the word Kenwood in the Bandmaster Rig Setup. Best to use the actual rig type such as FT-817 or FT-920 or FT-2000 or FT-5000 or IC-7700 etc.. This is not just a bandmaster issue but an issue with any software which uses Omnirig like CW Skimmer.

Does Simon read these posts? Or is there another way to get through to him?

Dan

W8BFG
4th April 2011, 23:41
<snip>

Does Simon read these posts? Or is there another way to get through to him?

Dan

Simon's not on the Forums as much as he was at one time. However, one of Simon's Able Minions (that's not me, BTW) passes things along to him that he thinks Simon should be aware of (that's my understanding, anyway). So, it's possible, but absolutely no guarantee, that Simon might look into this at some point, but unknown as to when (how's that for waffling? :laugh:)

G3ZOD
4th April 2011, 23:44
Hi Dan. I can't comment on the problems related to Bandmaster and VFO A/B as the only experience I have is with using Omnirig with CW Skimmer.

Regarding setting "Kenwood" in for Omnirig, as I understand it this is because HRD is simulating the Kenwood CAT protocol and is not directly connecting the virtual COM port to the real rig.

G4POP
5th April 2011, 06:48
Apart from the spotters comments, which are shown in the HRD cluster anyway, why would you want to use Bandmaster instead of HRD's built in badnplans which display the spots the same way?

K3ZXL
7th April 2011, 01:15
You would need to run AALog which integrates with Bandmaster and other programs to fully understand it's power. In addition to the superb filtering of spots, it is a very good organizational tool. I can display spots any way I wish. I can sort on DX or on Freq or on time or on spotter or on comments. I can filter by band and mode. AAlog changes the color of spotted callsigns depending in they have been worked, confirmed or new band modes. It also labels them if they are IOTA or /MM with an icon. It is fully integrated with AALog which is what I have been using for 6 years and am very comfortable with. I now have Bandmaster and HRD working together with the same rig by using VSPE instead of VCOM. I can now name my rig as Yaesu FT-817ND or FT-2000 instead of Kenwood in the Omnirig setup. The Kenwood definition does not let Bandmaster set the radio VFO B to the split frequency when a spot is clicked on. And I refuse to accidentally transmit simplex when the DX is calling up or down. Bandmaster lets me get the radio VFO B to the split frequency because the split spots are colored blue in Bandmaster spotted frequency .

wa9pie
7th April 2011, 01:51
Bandmaster draws your attention to stations that are known to log via LOTW. That's quite useful and not currently supported in HRD Logbook.

...so that's at least one reason why.

Oh yeah... selecting spots in Bandmaster automatically sets mode and split also (even when the spotter simply says "up 2").

K3ZXL
9th April 2011, 12:42
After some experimenting, I found that using the software VSPE, I can run Bandmaster and HRD separately. Bandmaster does not function through HRD and therefore HRD does not expect me to use the Rig Type "Kenwood" in my Omnirig setup. I now can use the INI files of Yaesu directly in Omnirig and have full perfect control of the radio from both Bandmaster and HRD.
So, now, I do not use the VCOM in HRD Tools. Nor the 3rd Party Software function in HRD Tools.
Now, my next step is to try to make FT-817 Commander work in the same way. Presently, Commander does not accept operation from the VSPE Virtual Port.
While this may be off topic, it is for informational purposes to any readers here.