PDA

View Full Version : Problems with FT-847 "Failed to read frequency" issue

Mike ZL3MF
1st April 2012, 00:26
Hi everyone, ok here is my problem, I have a FT847 which I have interfaced to an old laptop using Windows XP, this is done by using a RS232 NET232 to Ethernet converter plugged into my Linksys WEG200G wireless router. I use the RATS FT847 programme to remotely operate the FT847 and it works 100%, also use FTBasicMMO for frequency management it also works 100%. Now just recently I have purchased an iPhone 4 and want to remote my FT847 to it using the CommCat app. Now RAT FT847 is not compatible with CommCat so I have downloaded Ham Radio Deluxe.
Here is my problem when I try to connect (set Yaesu, then 847 COM7 and 57600 ((the radio is set to this))
then press "connect" the "cat" indicator comes up on the FT847 display but Ham Radio Deluxe then says "FT847, COM7, 57600, Failed to read frequency"
I have tried all options like DTR, RTS auto select speed and COM port but no cigar.

Can anyone shed some light on this? remember FTBasicMMO and RATS FT847 (a very nice interface) is working perfect on this setup with the NET232 and wireless router.

Cheers and 73's

Mike ZL3MF

W8BFG
1st April 2012, 02:58
Welcome to the Forums.

I've Moved your Post to the Interfacing > Computer <> Radio Forum, as that seems a more relevant Forum.

If you haven't already done so, check va3mw's Most Excellent albeit lengthy Post of 22April2008 in the Thread at

http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com/showthread.php?20432-How-to-debug-the-quot-not-reading-frequency-quot-error (http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com/showthread.php?20432-How-to-debug-the-quot-not-reading-frequency-quot-error)

***Minor Picky Update:

In your Post, you said
Cheers and 73's

Since 73 means Best Regards, it follows that 73's means Bests Regardses. It's amazing how many people do this.:fatigue:

tcalvete
1st April 2012, 03:04
I set the data transfer baud rate to 4800 baud. Anything faster is unstable.

Mike ZL3MF
1st April 2012, 03:54
I set the data transfer baud rate to 4800 baud. Anything faster is unstable.

Thanks for advice, have already tried that, still no go...

Cheers

Mike

Mike ZL3MF
1st April 2012, 20:41
Thanks for advice, have already tried that, still no go...

Cheers

Mike

Just a small update, if if I change the baud rate to 9600 or 4800 (do the same on the FT847) the "cat" indicator does not come up on the radio, will only come up when set to 57600

W8BFG
1st April 2012, 21:26
Just a small update, if if I change the baud rate to 9600 or 4800 (do the same on the FT847) the "cat" indicator does not come up on the radio, will only come up when set to 57600.Perhaps a rig problem? You might want to consider doing a Master or CPU reset of the 847 to see if that clears up the issue. You'll of course need to go back thru the various settings afterwards and set them appropriately.

ZL3MF
1st April 2012, 22:08
Perhaps a rig problem? You might want to consider doing a Master or CPU reset of the 847 to see if that clears up the issue. You'll of course need to go back thru the various settings afterwards and set them appropriately.

Hi already tried that still no go. What is puzzling is the FT847 works fine using RATS FT847 and FTBasicMMO but will not work on HRD. The other option I have and I know this may be off topic but all I am doing is wanting to remote my 847 to my iPhone and CommCat was a good option.....do I have other options, any ideaís anyone? It is a shame I canít use RATS FT847 with CommCat app.
I am playing around with the Air Display app at the moment but that is not ideal.

Cheers Mike ZL3MF

WA4SCA
1st April 2012, 22:46
Mike,

You have tried most of the things which are normal problems. A couple of comments which may be related. There are two different baud rates in the menu. Item 94 is for cloning data, used by FTBasicMMO, and Item 37 for CAT control, used by HRD. Also, it has been a long time since I used RATS, but are you reading the frequency with it? I think that was an option? Early versions of the FT-847 were "write only" CAT, but you could clone them. I would suggest trying FTBCat as a check that the CAT is fully bi-directional. I found it worked fine even the flaky USB serial ports.

Good luck,

Alan
WA4SCA

ZL3MF
1st April 2012, 23:21
Mike,

You have tried most of the things which are normal problems. A couple of comments which may be related. There are two different baud rates in the menu. Item 94 is for cloning data, used by FTBasicMMO, and Item 37 for CAT control, used by HRD. Also, it has been a long time since I used RATS, but are you reading the frequency with it? I think that was an option? Early versions of the FT-847 were "write only" CAT, but you could clone them. I would suggest trying FTBCat as a check that the CAT is fully bi-directional. I found it worked fine even the flaky USB serial ports.

Good luck,

Alan
WA4SCA

Thanks for your reply Alan, yes RATS works fine, I can completely control the radio from the programme including frequency band change the whole works.. The only thing I have noticed is if I change the frequency from the 847 its self the frequency does NOT change on the RATS interface, I assume this is normal.

All I am wanting to do is control the 847 on my iPhone, I could use Echolink and use a simple text method to change band/frequency etc...if I canít get this to work may look at that option.

Cheers Alan

Mike

lloyro
12th April 2012, 07:04
Mike ZL3MF, I had a similar problem with my FT-897D where the laptop would not read the frequency. I was using a 9 pin com port to USB adapter cable with my CAT-62 cable.
I eventually found the adapter cable had to have its' own driver installed to the laptop.
To get this driver google the part no. of the cable you are using which will tell you the internet address of the driver for the cable you are using. Install this like I did and it now all works fine. Hope this helps. Lloyro