Default Resolved: Cannot get CW transmit to work

My bad - when I select MCW I hear the tones as I expect. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by vk3ohm; 16th March 2012 at 10:52.

Question Re: Cannot get transmit to work

Welcome to the Forums.

How do you have the audio between PC and rig connected; i.e., what type of Audio Interface are you using? This could be as simple as Audio cables between rig and PC. But, you do need some separate type of Audio connection between rig and PC, since audio does not go over the CAT (rig control) connection, as some folks think.

Also, what vers of CW?, There are 4:CW, CW (KY Cmd), CW (WinKey), and MCW.

With the first three, which are normal on/off keyed CW, the only audio would be your rig's sidetone. With MCW, the audio mode of CW, you wouldn't hear any TX audio, as the audio would be routed from your PC soundcard via the interface to the rig, which should be in USB mode, and does not go to your speakers, unless you're using a Y-adapter/cable to send the audio to the speakers as well as the rig.

Check under DM780's Help > Getting Started, as there is a section on Audio Interfacing, among several other things.
    Last edited by W8BFG; 16th March 2012 at 10:08. Reason: Usual Revisions & Clarifications.

Default Re: Cannot get transmit to work

I am using the PH1PH (SK) interface circuit from the handbook, but I think it's irrelevant - the signal isn't getting that far.

The audio output from the radio is connected to the microphone input on the PC. This works fine - even decodes CW OK.

I am trying to get some audio output from the computer via the speakers to feed into the interface, and have been unable to do so. It was my expectation that if I configured the soundcard to be my default Windows speaker, then I would hear the generated tones. I hear nothing, and see nothing in the souncard window. I have the soundcard set to Auto, and when I send it automatically switches from the RX to TX display, but it is completely static at zero.
    -------------------------------------
    VK3OHM
    Marc Hillman

Windows 8.1 - 64bit; 16Gb RAM; 8 CPU's; IC-7000 & IC-9100; Expert 1K-FA amplifier; Diamond W-8010 antenna

So, are you transmitting and getting power out of the rig, now?

BTW, not really a good idea to have the soundcard be your default Windows soundcard, as any and all Windows sounds ---the Bleeps, Bloops, Urrps, and other annoying sounds that Windows spits out --- will go out over the air.
    Last edited by W8BFG; 16th March 2012 at 11:17. Reason: Typos...What Else???

Thumbs up Re: Cannot get transmit to work

All good now. I was only using the default sound card for testing. As I said, I have two soundcards, one for radio interface. Now getting a nice 100mV MCW at the radio interface. This opens up a whole new world
    -------------------------------------
    VK3OHM
    Marc Hillman

Windows 8.1 - 64bit; 16Gb RAM; 8 CPU's; IC-7000 & IC-9100; Expert 1K-FA amplifier; Diamond W-8010 antenna

Thumbs up Re: Cannot get transmit to work

Ok, I guess I missed the part about you having two soundcards.

I've updated the Thread to Resolved Status, and made a minor change to the Title.

Default Re: Cannot get transmit to work

Regarding all windows assorted noise makers... There is a fix for that. It's on the control panel, You can disable all fo them with just a few mouse clicks.

What vers of Windows are you using? I don't see any options to disable system sounds in XP Pro/SP3 or Vista Home Premium/SP2.

Having to switch sounds off and on all the time would get Old after awhile, and even if the system sounds were turned off, you still couldn't play your favorite HeadBanger Heavy Metal Acid Rock CD's while you were waiting on breaking a pileup.

Thread Information