Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect country on lookup

Hi,
    My Callsign is VK9VKL, and when it is entered in lookup, it shows country as Norfolk Island, which makes distances etc out for me.

It shows ALL VK9V** as norfolk island.

Currently VK9 calls are Australian Territories and a V suffix is a standard level licence.

My correct location should be Christmas Island, Indian Ocean (There are more than 1 Christmas island locations) or VK9X lookups give all the right details

I am guessing that you are only using the HRD country list for callsign lookup. That does indeed show your call as being Norfolk Island. At my end, I have QRZ.com set as the priority for lookup and your call is correctly showing as Christmas Island.

I suggest you put a ticket in for Country List to be updated.
    Mike G3YPP
    Icom IC-7600 Firmware V2 - SignaLink USB interface
    Rig interfaced to Pentium Dual Core CPU E5400 @ 2.7GHz 2.7GHz running Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 8Gb RAM
    Office computer for remote access to shack - Pentium Dual Core CPU E5400 @ 2.7GHz 2.7GHz running Windows 10 Home 64 bit 8 Gb RAM
    Logbook using MySQL database located on my web servers

Comment

Originally posted by VK9VKL View Post
      Hi,
      My Callsign is VK9VKL, and when it is entered in lookup, it shows country as Norfolk Island, which makes distances etc out for me.

It shows ALL VK9V** as norfolk island.

Currently VK9 calls are Australian Territories and a V suffix is a standard level licence.

My correct location should be Christmas Island, Indian Ocean (There are more than 1 Christmas island locations) or VK9X lookups give all the right details
      Cliff,

OK I'm confused ... The DXCC list shows only VK9X calls for the DXCC Christmas Island (entity #35)(VK9XSP in 2014 comes to mind) ... Your call comes up in QRZ as the QTH of a Christmas Island but the DXCC listing is "Australia" ... For sure Norfolk Island (VK9N) is not correct ...

If HRD is going to update then they need to know how to set the filter ...

I looked a little further ; vk9.JPG

vk.JPG

I also see that VK#V** is a standard grade license as you said ...

So I guess the burning question is what is your DXCC country ? And how would we know that ??

Certainly The Christmas Island is very rare DX ...
      Last edited by W3RJW; 03-30-17, 18:32.
      Ron, W3RJW

HRD v6.4.0.647
      Acer Aspire XC600, Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.9GHz, 8 GB Memory, 64-bit OS, Windows 8.1,
      Access Data Base
      FTdx-5000+Timewave Navigator Interface/FTdx-3000+SignaLink USB Interface, SteppIR Interface

Comment

Originally posted by W3RJW View Post

Cliff,

OK I'm confused ... The DXCC list shows only VK9X calls for the DXCC Christmas Island (entity #35)(VK9XSP in 2014 comes to mind) ... Your call comes up in QRZ as the QTH of a Christmas Island but the DXCC listing is "Australia" ... For sure Norfolk Island (VK9N) is not correct ...

If HRD is going to update then they need to know how to set the filter ...

I looked a little further ; vk9.JPG

vk.JPG

I also see that VK#V** is a standard grade license as you said ...

So I guess the burning question is what is your DXCC country ? And how would we know that ??

Certainly The Christmas Island is very rare DX ...
        The list you have WAS correct, but is now dated. Most of the world does show VK9X as the country of Christmas Island, but Australian licensing has moved on. VK9V** can be any territory of australia now. In the CQ WPX competition, they have it right... VK9VKL (christmas Island) competing in the VK9X zone.

I will make it easier on myself after October, as I will go for my Advanced ticket, and get a VK9X* call. No assessors on an island with one operator.

Comment

Great news Cliff ... you will be much sought after ...

Mike - Unique Call Data Base update
          Ron, W3RJW

HRD v6.4.0.647
          Acer Aspire XC600, Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.9GHz, 8 GB Memory, 64-bit OS, Windows 8.1,
          Access Data Base
          FTdx-5000+Timewave Navigator Interface/FTdx-3000+SignaLink USB Interface, SteppIR Interface

Comment

You will have to enter yourself into the HRD Unique Calls list. VK9 is always a problem. VK9X is the prefix, but that does not correlate directly to a callsign. VK9CT is free.
            -------------------------------------
            VK3OHM
            Marc Hillman

Windows 10 64-bit; 8Gb RAM; 8 CPU's; IC-9100; WinKeyer USB; Expert 1K-FA Amplifier; Diamond W-8010 antenna

Comment

Working...
            X